This soup is a great source of iron, folate and antioxidants amongst other vitamins and minerals. It can help to lower blood pressure and reduce inflammation. Research has shown that the nitrate content in beetroots can improve exercise performance - so, eat away!
2 beetroots (keep the leaves to juice or use in a salad)
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 stick of celery
15 g butter
250 ml of homemade chicken stock
Sea salt and pepper
1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
A spoonful of natural yoghurt (or sour cream if you prefer)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Scrub the beetroot, put in an oven tray and roast for 45-50 minutes.
- Melt the butter and soften the onion, garlic and celery for 10 minutes.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven, peel and add to the pan with the stock and some seasoning. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and, using a hand-held blender or liquidiser, blend until smooth.
- To serve, pour into soup bowls, add a spoonful of natural yoghurt and sprinkle with the chives.
* Take special care when liquidising the soup if it is still hot.
** With its vibrant colour, this is a lovely pre-starter served in shot glasses for a dinner party.