This heart warming and nutritious soup is wonderful during the winter months. Low in fat and calories yet a good source of protein and fibre, this tasty soup helps to slow down digestion, keeping your energy levels up and stabilising blood sugar levels.
2 onions, roughly chopped
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 red chilli, seeds removed, roughly chopped
150 g red lentils, washed and drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1¼ litre of vegetable/chicken stock
Salt and pepper
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Once melted, add the onion and garlic and soften for approximately 10 minutes (until cooked but not brown).
- Add the carrots, chilli, cumin and turmeric to the pan and cook gently for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stock, and seasoning and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool the soup slightly before blending in a liquidiser until smooth.
- To serve, pour the soup back into a pan and bring up to temperature, checking the seasoning. Pour into soup bowls, top with a spoonful of natural yoghurt and chopped coriander.
* Take special care when liquidising the soup if it is still hot.