A wonderful warming soup with a deliciously intense flavour that takes on all the benefits of the humble tomato. A real boost to the immune system due to the high levels of phytochemicals, in particular lycopene (which is enhanced by the cooking process) which have strong antioxidant and anti-cancer properties.
2 red onions, roughly chopped
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 kg fresh tomatoes, cut in half
2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into quarters
1 x 400 g tin of tomatoes
2 red chillis, seeds removed, roughly chopped
400 ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp coconut oil
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Place the tomatoes and peppers on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sea salt and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Once melted, add the onion , garlic and chilis and soften for approximately 10 minutes (until cooked but not brown). Add the chillis and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, stock, balsamic vinegar, and seasoning. Simmer on a low heat with a lid on for 1½ hours, adding a little water if needed.
- Cool the soup slightly before blending in a liquidiser until smooth.
- To serve, pour the soup back into a pan and bring up to temperature, checking the seasoning. Pour into soup bowls and stir in a spoonful of fresh pesto. Enjoy!
* Take special care when liquidising the soup if it is still hot.
** In the summer months there are so many lovely varieties of tomatoes which make this soup so incredibly tasty.