Full of whole, natural ingredients, this breakfast is a really healthy start to your busy day. This is packed with protein and essential fats from the nuts and seeds and fibre and beta-glucans from the oats which help to lower cholesterol levels and are also packed with energy.
Make a few batches ahead, that way you have some ready prepared in the fridge so you can save more time later on.
75 g large jumbo oats (gluten-free if necessary)
25 g almonds, roughly chopped
A pinch of cinnamon
120 ml water or milk of your choice (coconut/almond/cow’s) depending on how creamy you want your bircher to taste
1 Granny Smith apple (good balance of acidity) or pear, coarsely grated
20 g pistachios, roughly chopped
10 g mix of sunflower and chia seeds
Optional - 10 g dried cranberries (if you need some added sweetness) or a handful of seasonal berries
- Combine the oats, cinnamon and almonds together with the water or milk, place in a container and pop in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, if the mixture is a little thick, loosen it by adding a little more milk.
- Stir in the freshly grated apple or pear, sprinkle with the pistachios, seeds and optional cranberries.
- To serve, divide the mixture between 2 bowls, eat and enjoy!
* Alternatively, put the lid onto your container and your breakfast is ready for you to take to work in seconds.
** Soaking the nuts and oats overnight makes the nuts easier to digest and so aids absorption of the vitamins and minerals. It also makes it a super quick breakfast in the morning.
*** Quick tip - chop the nuts quickly and mess-free by putting them in a small bag then bashing them with a rolling pin. So much easier than chasing the nuts around a chopping board!