Traditionally, trail mix was eaten while hiking or involved in other strenuous activities. These days it makes for a quick, instant crunchy snack with lots of flavour that boosts your overall energy helping to keep you full between meals. It is also a good snack when you are especially hungry or when you need energy if you are on the move.
It is packed with essential fats, protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamin E and other essential vitamins and minerals. Research has proven that eating nuts as part of a balanced diet offers health benefits by lowering the risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity.
However, a word of caution, as it is so delicious it is all to easy too eat too much of the stuff! Due to its high calorie content it is designed to be eaten in small amounts (a small handful is a snack size) and so is not to be overeaten.
This is a great version using a mixture of nuts to incorporate all their different nutritional values and at the same time creating a lovely mix of flavours and textures.
All the nuts and seeds in this recipe are in their raw form:
120 g almonds
120 g cashews
120 g pecans
100 g walnuts
75 g pistachios
75 g sunflower seeds
75 g pumpkin seeds
70 g coconut flakes
70 g dried cranberries
2 tbsp maple syrup (optional for extra sweetness)
1 tsp cinnamon
A pinch of nutmeg
¼ -½ tsp Himalayan sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF/gas 2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Combine all ingredients (except the maple syrup and cranberries) in a large bowl and mix well. Season with salt to taste. Add the syrup and mix well until the nuts are evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture out on the lined baking sheets and bake for approximately 20 minutes until lightly golden. Make sure that you stir the mixture a couple of times to ensure a lovely crisp even coating.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and put on a plate or tray to cool down.
- Allow the mix to dry completely before adding the cranberries and storing in a jar.
* You can easily adapt this recipe to incorporate your favourite nuts and seeds.