A great winter warmer for when it is still dark and cold outside.
Full of complex carbs which release energy slowly into the bloodstream and protein from the nuts and seeds which help to keep you satisfied for longer. Oats have additional health benefits as they contain beta-glucans, a type of soluble fibre which helps to reduce cholesterol. The walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3.
50 g organic jumbo oats
½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
200 ml water
35 g walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
65 g blueberries
½ apple grated
50-75 ml milk of your choice
- Put the oats and cinnamon in a saucepan, pour in the water and add a tiny pinch of salt.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring from time to time. Be careful that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Mix the grated apple into the pan and stir well.
- To serve, spoon into a bowl, top with the nuts, seeds and berries and add the milk.
* Soak the oats overnight and this will speed up your cooking time in the morning.
** Substitute with other nuts and fruits depending what is in season, using what you have in the fridge or to suit your own personal tastes.
*** If you have done/are due to do a workout, try adding a scoop of protein powder to increase your protein intake further.