You will love the natural creaminess and sweetness of this homemade milk which is packed with lots of vitamins and minerals. Far superior to any commercial equivalents which often contain very little in the way of almonds and have sweeteners, thickening agents and preservatives added.
This is so easy to make, tastes delicious and is a great way to still enjoy milk but without the proteins found in cow’s milk which can cause inflammation/food intolerances and allergic reactions in some people.
Yields - 1 litre of milk.
125 g raw almonds (or cashews)
750 ml cold water for soaking (plus additional 750ml for the milk)
½ tsp sea salt
- Soak the nuts in the water overnight or for at least 12 hours.
- Drain and rinse the nuts, discarding the water.
- In a nutribullet/processor blend the nuts with 750 ml water until smooth.
- Strain through a nut milk bag (or muslin) over a bowl and squeezing through any milk that comes out. Add a small pinch of sea salt to taste.
- Pour into a glass bottle/jug and refrigerate - the milk will keep for 4-5 days in the fridge.
- You can use any nuts to make this milk but personally I think almonds or cashews work best.
* The milk can be flavoured with cinnamon, vanilla etc.
** You can use the pulp to make muffins, cookies, cakes, bread, so that nothing is wasted.