Freekah is young green wheat that has been toasted and cracked and, due to its early harvesting, it contains more nutrients than older grains. It is high in fibre and is a good source of selenium, potassium and magnesium.
Freekah has a nutty flavour which helps make this salad so delicious. The wild rice adds a lovely texture and, with its dark purple-ish colour, makes the salad all the more vibrant.
50 g Black Venus wild rice
100 g Freekah
75 g peas (fresh when in season), cooked
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, dry fried
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
Sea salt and pepper
- Place the freekah and 500 ml of water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain any excess water and set aside to cool.
- Cook the black rice in boiling water for 45 minutes, drain and cool.
- Dry fry the pumpkin seeds in a pan tossing as they cook to brown all over and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together and season well with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon into salad bowls and enjoy.
* Keep in the fridge and use within 4-5 days.