Super easy to make and tastes delicious, this salad is a good source of fibre as well as protein and is high in vitamins, especially Vitamin C and A.
100 g quinoa
Approximately 250 ml water
1 tsp vegetable stock (marigold) to add more flavour
⅓ of a 400 g tin of cooked chickpeas
⅓ of a 400 g tin of cooked black beans
1 red onion, finely chopped
½ red pepper, ½ yellow pepper finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
¼ cucumber, finely chopped
2 tbp chopped parsley
2 tbp chopped coriander (optional)
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp ground paprika
1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
2 tbp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
Ground black pepper to taste
- Wash and rinse the quinoa thoroughly (to remove the bitter taste).
- Place in a pan, cover with the water and stock and bring to the boil. Turn down and simmer for 15 minutes (the grains will double in size).
- Drain and it is now ready for use.
- Dry fry the sunflower seeds in a pan tossing as they cook to brown all over and set aside.
- Wash and rinse the beans.
- In a bowl mix the beans, chickpeas, onion, quinoa, peppers, carrot, cucumber, herbs, parsley and spices. Add enough olive oil and lemon juice to taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon into salad bowls and enjoy.
* Keep in the fridge and use within 4-5 days.