A lovely supper dish packed with protein and vitamins, minerals and antioxidants with the addition of bulgar wheat which has a lovely nutty taste.
4 large free range organic chicken thighs
2 onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp grainy mustard
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp honey
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp chopped thyme
60 g bulgar wheat
1 tsp vegetable bouillon stock
4 spring onions, sliced
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp chopped parsley
¼ fennel bulb
75 g rocket leaves
Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp of olive oil, lemon juice and zest, honey, mustard, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place the sliced onions in a roasting tin and place the chicken on top, skin side down. Pour over the lemon marinade.
- Cook in the oven and after 20 minutes turn the chicken over (so skin side upwards) for another 20-25 minutes until crispy and cooked through. To test if the chicken is cooked, place a sharp knife into the thickest part and make sure the the juices run clear. Total cooking time 45 minutes.
- Dry fry the sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a pan tossing as they cook to brown all over and set aside.
- Bring 250 ml water with 1 tsp of vegetable stock to the boil. Rinse the bulgar wheat, add it to the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Combine the bulgar wheat, spring onions, parsley, seeds, 1 tbsp of olive oil and seasoning.
- To make the salad, thinly slice the fennel, wash and dry it with paper towel. Mix with the rocket leaves.
- Remove the chicken from the oven.
- To serve, arrange the chicken on a plate with the bulgar wheat and salad.
* Tip - spoon the bulgar wheat in a ramekin (or dariole mould) and turn upside down.