These are healthy and delicious and not overloaded with sugar like their store-brought counterparts. However, healthy versions can sometimes be disappointing because they have no flavour and taste of cardboard…. BUT, these are healthy and delicious with a great texture and taste yummy!
Great for a snack when out and about and they are a real winner with adults and kids alike!
200 g wholemeal flour
100 g ground almonds
½ tsp salt
2½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
100 g walnuts, chopped (pop in a plastic bag & bash with a rolling pin!)
3 large eggs
4 tbsp coconut oil
100 ml organic honey
2 large carrots (yields about 180 g grated)
100 g sultanas, soaked in water for 10 minutes
175 ml milk of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Put muffin liners in a muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, ground almonds, walnuts, spices, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, milk and honey and then stir in the grated carrot and soaked sultanas. Then add this to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin liners and bake for 15-17 minutes. To test if they are cooked, insert a skewer into the center and it should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
* Store extras in an airtight container for 3 days but they are much better eaten fresh on the day they are made.
** Alternatively freeze for up to 3 months.