Courgette, or zucchini as it's often referred to, is packed with antioxidants and vitamin C making this a really healthy savoury muffin which tastes delicious.
Ideal for a lunch box, picnic or snack. This is a great recipe to get the kids in the kitchen cooking with you!
200g spelt flour
2½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
4 large eggs
3 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp black chia seeds
1 spring onion, finely chopped (omit if you prefer)
75g parmesan cheese, grated
200ml milk of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas. Put muffin liners in a muffin tin.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, milk and stir until mixed.
- Grate the courgette, squeeze out any extra moisture, add the spring onions and the egg mixture stirring together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add some black pepper and the grated cheese.
- Add the courgette mixture to the to dry ingredients and mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Spoon the batter into muffin liners, filling no more than 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
To test if they are cooked, insert a skewer into the centre and it should come out clean.
* Store extras in an airtight container for 3 days, alternatively freeze for up to 3 months.