A vibrant salad with a great mix of flavours, this tastes absolutely delicious. Lovely eaten on its own, or great as an accompaniment to a main course so a great recipe to have up your sleeve.
Super easy to make and this salad is a good source of fibre as well as antioxidants and vitamins, especially Vitamin A and C.
1 small red cabbage, outer leaves removed
1 white cabbage, outer leaves removed
2 large carrots, peeled
½ celeriac, peeled
1 fennel bulb, core removed
1 red onion, peeled
2 granny smith apples, core removed
2 tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp of fresh mint, chopped
30g pine nuts
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
50ml apple cider vinegar
150ml olive oil
1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and finely slice the vegetables or use the julienne slicer of a food processor to save you time. Note - put the apple and carrot through with the grater blade.
- Put the vegetables into a mixing bowl.
- Toast the walnuts and pine nuts in a dry frying pan until golden brown and set aside (toast separately as walnuts need a little longer to toast).
- In a separate bowl, mix the vinegar with the oil, seasoning and herbs. Pour this dressing over the vegetables and mix well to coat everything together.
- To serve, spoon into salad bowls and enjoy.
* Tip - if making in advance, I suggest you store the dressing in a jar in the fridge and that you keep the vegetables separately in a bowl so that everything keeps as fresh and crisp as possible. Then, about 30 minutes before you want to serve it, mix the vegetables and dressing together.
** Keep in the fridge and use within 4-5 days.
*** I will be adding pomegranate seeds to this recipe at Christmas time for added colour and taste!