A real winter warmer. A wonderful delicious and nutritious casserole.
1kg lamb-neck fillets/ shoulder of lamb (cubed into 1- ½ inch chunks)
1-2 tsp coconut oil
400g baby onions, skins removed
3 sticks of celery finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
4 large carrots, cut into chunks
1000ml fresh chicken stock
200ml red wine (optional)
1× 400 g tin of tomatoes
1 tbsp flour
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs of thyme
3 sprigs of rosemary
Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF/gas
- Heat a tsp of coconut oil in a pan and brown the meat in batches. Be careful not to put too much in the pan otherwise it will stew the meat rather than brown it. Place in the casserole dish/slow cooker.
- Add the celery, carrots & baby onions and crushed garlic to the pan and cook for approx. 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over 1 tbsp of flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock, red wine (if using) and tomatoes to the pan and stir well, then pour on top of the lamb. Season and place the herbs on the top.
- Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 2 hours or, alternatively, on medium heat for approx. 4 hours in the slow cooker.
- Serve, or if you make this 24 hours ahead of eating instead, it really tenderises the meat and improves the flavour
* You can use beef or venison instead
** Want an easy way to peel the baby onions? Put into a bowl + pour over some boiling water + leave for 5mins + drain + the skins come off really easily!!
*** Double or triple this recipe and freeze ahead in batches so you have a meal for another time!