These apple cakes are super easy and simple to make without any refined sugar. The juiciness of the apples packs these cakes with lots of nutrition and taste.
Make a great snack on their own, great for breakfast or the lunch box. Adults and kids just love them!
50g organic grass fed unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp organic honey
100g almond flour
75g walnuts, roughly chopped
100g spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
3 apples, skin left on, diced plus one apple, thinly sliced for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Line a 12 muffin tin with muffin papers or use silicon mini loaf baking trays.
- Whisk together the eggs, honey, yoghurt, melted butter and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sifted spelt and almond flour, baking powder, ground almonds, cinnamon and walnuts. Mix until just combined. Fold through the diced apple.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins and top each with a slice of apple.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and cooked. To test if they are cooked, insert a skewer.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing the muffins and cooling on a wire rack.
* Store extras in an airtight container for 3 days although I can assure you they won’t stick around for long
** Alternatively freeze for up to 3 months