A wonderfully delicious and nutritious casserole which is quick and easy to prepare and bursting with flavour.
8 organic free range chicken thighs
2 red onions, sliced
5 garlic cloves, crushed
4 large carrots, cut into chunks
2 tbsp harrisa paste
1 tbsp tomato puree
1x 400g tin of chickpeas
1x 400g tin of tomatoes
500ml fresh chicken stock
2 bay leaves
Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF/gas
- Heat a tsp of coconut oil in a casserole dish/large frying pan and brown the chicken in batches. Be careful not to put too much in the pan otherwise it will stew the meat rather than brown it. Place in the casserole dish/slow cooker.
- Add carrots,sliced onions and crushed garlic to the pan and cook for approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, harissa, stock, tomatoes, chickpeas, bay leaves and seasoning to the pan and stir well, then pour on top of the chicken.
- Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 1½ hours or, alternatively, on medium heat for approx. 4 hours in the slow cooker.
- Serve with cous cous or buck wheat and garnish with chopped parsley
* For added crunch sprinkle with some flaked almonds
** Double or triple this recipe and freeze ahead in batches so you have a meal for another time!
*** You can add large halved new potatoes to the casserole to make it a one pot dish!